Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pregnancy Journal - Part I (JOSHUA)

The next 2 entries are long overdue, but I'd still like to work on it so that I can share it with my sons when they grow up. I now have a 2.5 year-old toddler and an 11-month old baby at home. When people say "They grow up so fast", I didn't think they really meant it! But here I am with two wonderful sons, who I love to pieces, so here it goes:

My Pre-Mom Life: Before we decided to start trying for a baby, Rod and I lived at Guevarra with my mom and grandparents. We had to live there for the first 8 months because our current house at Liege was still under renovation. So transition to married life was quite easy for me. It was really Rod who had to adjust living with my family. We decided to wait after moving to our new house before trying for a baby. We officially moved into our new house on August 4, 2007.

The First Inkling: I really had no idea that I was pregnant, until I thought about visiting an OB-Gyne for some other concerns. Then I remembered that I haven't had my period for quite a while. I have a very long and irregular cycle so it took a while for it to hit me. I also noticed that I found some food, which I normally eat, would make me feel queasy. So I asked Rod to buy me a pregnancy kit, and true enough, after using up 2 kits, it was confirmed. 



Picking a Name: For some reason, the moment I knew that I was pregnant, I was really sure that we would be having a baby boy. We first wanted to name him "James", but decided on "Joshua", after I saw Josh Duhamel on the Ellen Degeneres Show. God he's HOT! The middle name of "Han" is after both Rod's father and my Dad.

The First Trimester: By the time I visited my OB's clinic and had my first TV ultrasound, I was already 8 weeks pregnant and given an April 24, 2008 due date. The first three months went by in a breeze. Aside from a few bouts of morning sickness, everything was textbook and normal with my pregnancy during this period. I just slept a lot because I felt so tired everyday and I had to stay away from the kitchen. Strong scents and tastes made me queasy so I ate very bland food like hard boiled egg with rice, and I had the maid rewash all my clothes without fabric softener.

The Second Trimester: When I entered my 2nd Trimester, I had to be put on bed rest for a month because I had some spotting. Had to go in and out of the delivery room to get non-stress tests and also had to take quite a few medication to stop the spotting. My OB said that I had a polyp in my cervix that was causing the bleeding. This was probably the scariest and most depressing time of my pregnancy. I was really emotional and crying a lot from the loneliness of being stuck in bed the whole day, not being able to walk or take the stairs at all, and having to worry about whether my baby would come out okay. It was also quite sad because it was around Christmas time so everyone was out going to parties, but I was lucky that Rod really stayed in bed with me to take care of me.

The Third Trimester: I was lucky to be allowed to fly to Cebu for a short vacation with my family, to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. We spent a weekend at Shangrila Mactan and it was great because it was one of the few times that we were complete as a family. My dad, mom, Rod, me, Aaron, Donald, Puisze and Kaka went. At that time Puisze and I were both pregnant at 5 and 6 months, respectively.

My Changing Body:  I'm thankful that I didn't really get too big while I was pregnant.  I gained the recommended amount of weight, like about 25-30 lbs. the whole 9 months and I'm proud that I ate healthily, making sure that I drank 8 glasses of water and ate my fruits and veggies.  But I also had a sweet tooth, especially during my final months when it was the middle of summer and all I could think of was Razon's Halo Halo, YUM!  I didn't really get a lot of stretch marks on my tummy as well, but I felt ugly.  My nose was really big, and I feel like my neck, face and armpits were darker.  One thing I have to be thankful for when I was pregnant was that I seem to have really good hair and nails.  They grow so fast and shiny.  Other than that, I was a miserable woman.  I really didn't see the "glow" that they always refer to in magazines when describing pregnant women.  Poor me.  I don't think I even have that many photos while I was pregnant.  But here's a couple.



My Labour Experience:  On April 12, 2008, I woke up to go to the bathroom and felt like something was leaking.  Since this is my first time, they said that labour would come slowly, so I took my sweet time.  Took a shower and had my breakfast, before going to the delivery room.  True enough, my water has already broken and I was admitted at 9:00am.  I just stayed inside the labour room to wait for my contractions to come naturally.  By 4:00pm, I was asking for epidural and was ready to push.  After 2 hours of pushing, and with the help of forceps, my beautiful Joshua came into the world at 6 lbs, 13oz , 52 cm long.  What a relief!  I was really scared that I would need a C-section.  My Rod was also a trooper, who stayed with me during the whole delivery, and he was there to hold my hand and encourage me to push harder.  At least he didn't faint at the site of so much blood and mess. 

Will work on my entry for Kenji next.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment